Fair and Petting Zoo Safety

A resource for fair and petty zoo legal cases and outbreak prevention, sponsored by Marler Clark

1999 E. coli Outbreak at a Fair in North Wales, London

Payne et al (2003) reported an outbreak of Vero toxin (Shiga toxin) producing E. coli O157:H7 (VTEC O157:H7) causing gastroenteritis among people visiting an open farm in North Wales, London in June 1999.  A case-control study identified an association between attendance on the second day of the festival, eating ice cream or cotton candy and contact with cows or goats and illness.  Investigators suggested that foods on open farms should only be eaten in the dedicated clean areas, and that sticky food such as cotton candy should be avoided at such events.