Fair and Petting Zoo Safety

A resource for fair and petty zoo legal cases and outbreak prevention, sponsored by Marler Clark

2005 Big Fresno Fair Petting Zoo E. coli Outbreak

At least six children were infected with E. coli O157:H7 - one gravely - visiting the petting zoo at the 2005 Big Fresno Fair.  Angela Malos was two years old at the time of her visit to the petting zoo.  She developed HUS (hemolytic uremic syndrome) and was hospitalized for months.  Her kidneys were severely damaged and a series of strokes left her with impaired movement and vision.  Her case settled in 2010 for 2.2 million dollars.