Prevention for visitors to petting zoos and agricultural fairs
- Wash hands
- Before eating or drinking or preparing food
- After petting or being around animals or their pens
- Supervise children’s hand washing
- Hand sanitizers are not a as effective as hand washing and shouldn’t be used as a substitute for hand washing!
- Eat or drink in animal areas.
- Bring pacifier, strollers, toys or spill-proof bottles into animal areas.
Podcasts and Videos
- I Love Petting Zoos! This Kidtastics podcast from CDC helps children learn about how to stay safe and healthy when visiting petting zoos and other animal exhibits.
- Wash Your Hands This video shows kids how to properly wash their hands, one of the most important steps we can take to avoid getting sick and spreading germs to others.